Potter Puts A Spell On The Dark Knight
‘Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2’ made breaking records look easy this weekend. Harry even managed to break one of the most sacred records…the domestic opening weekend box office record. Christopher Nolan’s ‘The Dark Knight’ has held the record since 2008, with a grand total of $158,413,483. Even though ‘New Moon’ and ‘Eclipse’ were both able to beat ‘The Dark Knight’s’ domestic opening night record, they weren’t able to hold on to capture the opening weekend crown. The estimated opening weekend total for the Potter finale is $168,550,000; toppling the Caped Crusader by $10 million. I’ll give Harry his due, and tip my hat, but I was holding out that this would be the one record that this film didn’t break. ‘Part 2’ came into the weekend with an advantage over TDK. While both of the films were released in IMAX theaters, TDK did not have the advantage of being a 3D movie. According to Box Office Mojo, 43% of this weekend’s blockbuster came from 3D ticket prices. You could also make a smaller argument that Potter came into the fight with an upper hand because the film was released in more theaters and had a shorter run time, even though the difference in both was minimal. With all of this being said, ‘Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2’ was really good and deserves its claim to fame. Congrats Mr. Potter!
Here are some of the other records that the Potter conclusion broke this weekend.
- Hp7 Pt. 2 broke the worldwide opening weekend record, raking in $475.6 million.
- HP7 Pt. 2 destroyed the foreign opening weekend total of $307 million, smashing ‘Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides’ by 18%.
- HP7 Pt. 2 stole the domestic opening night record from Twi-Rival ‘New Moon’, with a crushing $92,100,000 (‘New Moon – $72,703,754).
- HP7 Pt. 2 broke the midnight showing record with a whopping $43.5 million.
- Hp7 Pt. 2 broke the IMAX opening weekend record with $15.5 million (Alice in Wonderland – $12.2 million)
- HP7 Pt. 2 $32 million in advance ticket sales, setting a new record for pre-opening sales.
- HP7 Pt. 2 was released in 3D in 3,000+ locations, breaking ‘Transformers: Dark of the Moon’ previous record of 2,789.
- HP7 Pt. 2 broke the IMAX release record, opening on the extra big screen in 274 locations.
Posted on July 17, 2011, in News and tagged Christopher Nolan, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2, The Dark Knight, The Twilight Saga: Eclipse, The Twilight Saga: New Moon. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.